Latest News

Science with Dr. Egghead:Why the World Goes Round

by Leah Carpenter

In the hustle and bustle of school and learning, we can find some fun…with science.

Within 140 million years days on Earth will increase from 24 hours a day to 25 hours.

The rotation of Planet Earth is slowing down, according to The Planets. Every 100 years the Earth is slowing down by 17 milliseconds.

Once to believe it was the center of the universe, Earth was proven to be the third planet from the sun. A scientist by the name of Copernicus published his Sun-centered model in 1543 A.D.

The Earth is approximately 4.5 billion years old, according to a website called The Planets. The website provides historical, scientific, cultural and mythological facts on the solar system.

Derived from the old English word “ertha” meaning ground or soil, planet Earth is the only planet in our solar system not named after a mythological god.

The other seven planets are each named after a Roman or Greek god.

Mercury: Messenger of the Roman gods/ Greek messenger Hermes

Venus: Roman goddess of love and beauty

Mars: Roman god of war/ Greek god Ares god of war

Jupiter: King of Roman gods and god of the Sky/ Greek god Zeus god of thunder

Saturn: Father of Jupiter/ Greek counterpart Cronus

Uranus: Greek god Ouranos

Neptune: Roman god of the Sea/ Greek counterpart Poseidon

Planet Earth first developed life in the oceans. It is 70 percent water and the remaining 30 percent is continents and islands. According to The Planets, the water on the planet was brought to the surface due to volcanic activity.

The tides of the oceans are moved by the gravitation pull of the moon. This is also the reason only one side of the moon is visible from the Earth.

Not only is Earth covered mainly by water, but the atmosphere is 78 percent nitrogen. 21 percent of what is left is oxygen, and the remaining 1 percent is made up of other gases such as argon and carbon dioxide. Earth is also the densest of all eight planets. It is 5,513 kg/m3.

The highest and lowest points on earth are measured by the sea level on Earth. The highest point can be found in Nepal. Mount Everest is 8.8 kilometers above sea level.

The lowest point, Challenger Deep, is found in the Pacific Ocean in the Mariana Trench near the Mariana Islands, sitting 10.9 kilometers below sea level.

Who says? Dr. Egghead, a science expert. What will we discover next? Find out next week.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: